Orach – Aurora

il_340x270-448096137_tk0xOrach, also known as Mountain Spinach, is a delicious green that can be added to salads or even cooked like spinach.  The leaves can be red or green, depending on the seed, and the plants grow 2-4 feet tall.  Years ago, I used to grow orach outside in my raised bed gardens, and the seeds I will be using here were collected from those plants.  Hopefully, these old seeds will germinate!

Apr 22, 2016 = Day 0.  Plants started from seed (Bountiful Gardens).  Seeds sowed in 1.5-inch rockwool cube in 2-inch net-pot.  Moistened with dilute fertilizer solution (1.2 mL Dyna-Gro Liquid Grow, 0.8 mL pH Down per gallon of tap water).  N-P-K (in ppm): 22-12-13.  pH = 6.0.

Apr 25 = Day 3.  Plants germinated, placed directly under a fluorescent light (2 ft. T8 bulb, 17W, 6500k) for 16 hours per day.

IMG_20160502_105313419 (1)
May 2 = Day 10

May 5 = Day 13.  Installed plants into 3.5-gallon bucket.  Hydroponic solution composed of 3.5 gal (13.2 L) tap water, 7 g MasterBlend 4-18-38, 7 g calcium nitrate, 3.5 g magnesium sulfate, 0.7 mL Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt, 3.5 mL pH Down.  N-P-K (in ppm): 103-41-168.  pH = 6.0.  Plants moved to indoor grow room, receiving 8 hours LED grow light per day, plus 3 hours sunlight per day.

IMG_20160513_152118431 (1)
May 13 = Day 21
IMG_20160526_143025919 (1)
May 26 = Day 34

May 30 = Day 38.  Thinned to 1 plant per net-pot, trimmed plants to encourage branching.

IMG_20160616_120829702 (1)
Jun 16 = Day 55.  Plants are bolting.

Jun 16 = Day 55.  The plants are bolting, and it seems that production of new leaves has stopped, so it is time to harvest all the leaves.  Leaves were added to a salad.  They have a nice flavor and texture, reminiscent of spinach.

Total fluid usage = 0.75 gallons for 3 plants (0.25 gallons/plant).

In cleaning the bucket, I noticed that the roots were a brownish color and not well developed, which normally occurs when the pH gets too low.  Sure enough, I checked the pH and it had dropped to below 5.0, from the original 6.0.  This was surprising since the pH normally drifts upwards using the Masterblend-based hydroponic fluid formula.  I’m not sure of why the pH dropped in this case.  Maybe the plants would not have bolted so early if the pH had been higher.