Yellow Wonder is a variety of wild strawberry, also known as Alpine strawberries. The fruit is smaller and more fragile than the normal supermarket strawberry, but the flavor is excellent. This yellow variety is great for growing outside, since the birds and other critters tend to leave the fruits alone, believing them to be unripe.
Feb 3, 2016 = Day 0. Plants started from seed (Baker Creek). Seeds sowed in 1.5-inch rockwool cube in 2-inch net-pot. Seeds were very small, sowed on top of rockwool cube, not in central hole. Moistened with dilute fertilizer solution: 1.2 mL Dyna-Gro Liquid GROW 7-9-5, 0.8 mL pH Down per gallon of tap water. N-P-K (in ppm): 22-12-13. pH = 6.0.
Feb 13 = Day 10. Plants germinated, placed directly under a fluorescent light (2 ft. T8 bulb, 17W, 6500k) for 16 hours per day.
Feb 24 = Day 21. Installed plants into 1.2-gallon plastic container. Hydroponic solution composed of 1.2 gal tap water, 2.4 g MasterBlend 4-18-38, 2.4 g calcium nitrate, 1.2 g magnesium sulfate, 0.25 mL Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt, 1.2 mL pH Down. N-P-K (in ppm): 103-41-168. pH = 6.0. Transferred plant to indoor grow room, receiving 3 hours sunlight + 9 hours LED grow-light per day.
Apr 5 = Day 62. Since I am hoping to keep this plant growing for a long time, I decided to transfer it to a 5-gallon bucket. Hydroponic solution composed of 5 gal (18.9 L) tap water, 10 g MasterBlend 4-18-38, 10 g calcium nitrate, 5 g magnesium sulfate, 1 mL Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt, 5 mL pH Down. N-P-K (in ppm): 103-41-168. pH = 6.0.
May 19 = Day 106. I have been pollinating the flowers by hand using a cotton swab for several weeks, but I am still not getting any fruit to set. Perhaps this plant will set some fruit if I move it outside where insects can perform the pollination. Plant was moved outside, where it receives light breezes and about 4-5 hours of sunlight per day.
Jun 2 = Day 120. Harvested 2 strawberries. They have a delicious flavor, though slightly tart.
Jun 5 = Day 123. Added 1 gallon fresh hydroponic fluid. Harvested 4 strawberries.
Jun 9 = Day 127. Harvested 9 strawberries.
Jun 13 = Day 131. Harvested 4 strawberries.
Jun 16 = Day 134. Added 2 gallons fresh hydroponic fluid. Harvested 4 strawberries.
Jun 18 = Day 136. Harvested 2 strawberries.
Jun 25 = Day 143. Added 1 gallon fresh hydroponic fluid. Harvested 12 strawberries.
Jul 1 = Day 149. Harvested 5 strawberries. I found a few aphids on the plant, and the root system of the plant has turned dark brown, which may indicate declining health of the plant. I have chosen to discard the plant at this time.
Total harvest = 42 strawberries. Total fluid used = 7.5 gallons.